Saying Goodbye to North America: NYC Day 1

By 17:10 ,

If you follow me on Instagram, you would know that I recently went on a trip to New York City for a couple of days. If you don't follow me on Instagram... what are you doing? After 3 years of "we should go on a trip together," my friends (Maddie and Tori) and I decided to go on a quick trip to New York City. We had all been to New York before, so we wanted to have a trip that allowed us to see parts of the city that we had never seen before.

Maddie, me, and Tori (left to right) with Central Park in the background
We also decided to try out using Airbnb for this trip as the hotel prices were a bit out of our price range. I am like the number one Airbnb fan, I spend so much time looking at places around the world without actually having any travel plans. Our experience with Airbnb was wonderful! We stayed in a cute little studio apartment on the edge of the neighbourhood Hell's Kitchen. It was walking distance from just about everything that we wanted to do, as well as close by to a few Subway stops if we needed to go anywhere a bit out of walking range. It was really a great experience and I will totally use Airbnb again. (If you are interested in signing up for Airbnb, please feel free to use my link for a $30CAD travel credit).

To start out the first day we went to Sarahbeth's for brunch at their Central Park South location. On our way, we bumped into Spice Girl, Melanie B (Scary Spice). An unexpected celebrity sighting made it very clear that we were in New York.
Mel B/Scary Spice!! My 6 year old heart was very very excited
After brunch, we decided to take a walk through Central Park. It was a beautiful, hot day, which was absolutely perfect for exploring the park. There were tons of people out in the park enjoying the day. We walked all the way up to the Metropolitan Museum of Art, where we decided to leave the park and explore the Upper East Side. The Upper East Side gave us a dose of the lifestyle of the wealthiest New Yorkers. We saw countless nannies and dog walkers, and began to feel extremely poor and irrelevant.
Me in Central Park 
On our way out of the Upper East Side we made a pit stop Sprinkles Cupcake shop. I got the vegan red velvet cupcake as it was the only vegan option on the menu for me. It was REALLY good. I'm not used to eating sweets anymore, so it was a bit too sweet for me, but it was still a really good cupcake and I would definitely recommend it for a yummy vegan sweet treat!

For the final part of the day we went to the MoMA (Museum of Modern Art) and Top of the Rock (rooftop of the Rockefeller Center). We got a good package deal for both attractions which helped us save about $15. I had never been to the MoMA before as the line was huge the last time I tried to go. I am not even going to pretend that I have any knowledge about art, so all I'm going to say is that it was a really cool museum. I really enjoyed it and I think I took pictures of everything in it.
Drowning Girl by Roy Lichtenstein (1963)
The Top of the Rock was really really cool. It was kind of like going up the CN Tower in Toronto (not as tall) but it was a good opportunity to get a view of the whole city. I had been up the Empire State Building before, but after waiting two hours to get to the top it was not something I wanted to do ever again. The Top of the Rock gave us the chance to have that rooftop view of New York with the Empire State Building in it, which is a really great view if I do say so myself. I honestly think it is so much more worth it to do that than going to the top of the Empire State. Real talk you need the Empire State Building in your pictures of New York for a good Instagram post. It is a must.
View of the Empire State Building from Top of the Rock 
After a long day of travelling and walking, we finally decided to head back to our apartment with a quick stop in Times Square for some classic tourist pictures. And then we all fell fast asleep preparing for day two in New York.
Us ft. the bright lights in Times Square

You Might Also Like

0 comments